Mordialloc Neighbourhood House (MNH) is a community based non-profit organisation with a voluntary Committee of Governance and managed on a daily basis by a team of staff and volunteers.
MNH was first established in 1984 and operated from a small building at St Aiden’s Church in Parkdale. MNH was then known as the Parkdale Neighbourhood House. Due to an active committee and assistance from then then Mordialloc Council, the MNH relocated to our current address in Mordialloc in March 1994.
MNH now operates 5 days per week and evenings and weekends by arrangement.
Our Structure: The Committee of Governance
The voluntary committee of governance oversees the strategic, financial and accountability requirements of the MNH. They meet monthly to discuss, current and future trends and opportunities for the MNH and the local community. MNH Annual Report – October 2017
The Committee of Governance ensures the following:
- That legal obligations are met under any applicable Acts and Licences, which include: Association of Incorporations Act, OH&S, Industrial relations, Childcare Licence, Lease Agreement, the Privacy Act and all policies and procedures of the MNH are complied with
- Accountability and compliance requirements for funding received from both state and local governments are met
- Financial and Audit requirements are met and that the MNH remains financially viable and sustainable
- Annual reporting to all stakeholders and the community
- The Neighbourhood House maintains appropriate insurance cover for staff, volunteers and all activities
Do you have a passion and desire to give back to your local community? Can you commit to a monthly meeting and become actively involved in the governance of the MNH? If so, we would love to welcome you on board.
Becoming a committee member is an opportunity to support the great work of the MNH and its staff and volunteers and not only allows you to get involved in working for your community, but ensures the continued existence of MNH.
We currently have vacancies on the Committee of Governance for people with skills and interests in marketing, fundraising and general membership.Committee Member Position Description – Fundraising – January 2018 Committee Member Position Description – General – January 2018 Committee Member Position Description – Marketing – January 2018
If you would like more information on joining our committee, please contact the Manager on 9587 4534. We would love to hear from you.
What we do:
We offer programs and activities in a wide range of areas including:
- Occasional childcare
- Gumnuts – 3-Year old pre-kinder
- Music for Tinies
- Education and Employment training
- Social and recreational pursuits
- Art and craft
- Language and culture
- Men’s Shed
- School holiday programs
- Community information and support
Fundraising is an important part in supporting the MNH. Donations are necessary to buy and replace equipment and resources for all programs. Our current fundraising activities include running sausage sizzles, small raffles, a hand knit craft table, an art auction of fabulous artworks from our Gumnuts program and many more. If you would like to contribute by donation or with fundraising events and ideas, please contact the Manager on 9587 4534.
An annual membership fee applies and provides financial assistance with our operations. The payment of the fee offers the option of becoming a member of the Committee of Governance and gives voting rights at the AGM. Membership fees are not refundable.